Boat insurance can cover:
- Bodily Injury: for injuries caused to another person
- Property Damage: for damage caused to someone else's property
- Medical Payments: for injuries to the boat owner and other passengers
- Coverage for the boat itself: theft, fire, hail, vandalism, and more coverage.
Boat owners should check that special equipment kept on the boat, such as fishing gear, is included in the policy. If you own a boat, consider an Umbrella Liability Policy to further protect your assets from a lawsuit.
Be sure to mention if you qualify for any potential discounts, like:
- Diesel-powered (less likely to explode than gasoline powered boats)
- Fire extinguishers (coast guard approved)
- Ship-to-shore radios
- Multi-policies with the same insurer, such as a car, home, or umbrella policy
- Safety education courses, such as those offered by the Coast Guard Auxiliary, U.S. Power Squadrons, or the American Red Cross