Auto Insurance

Will your insurance pay you if you're injured and can't work after a hit and run accident?  Will you be paid for the damage to your car?  We're here to answer your questions and help you make the important decisions to ensure you're properly protected.

The links below contain overviews of the common auto policy coverage options, and tips for keeping your family safe.  Please contact one of our personal lines agents if you have any questions.

Auto Coverage: 

Bodily Injury: This lawsuit protection pays for injuries you cause someone else, but only up to your pre-chosen coverage limit. If you're involved in a serious accident, you could be sued for a large sum--making your insurance coverage look more like a down payment than full protection.  You can often double your liability protection for less than $10 per month. For added protection, or if you have kids of driving age, consider purchasing an Umbrella Policy.

Property Damage: This lawsuit protection pays for damage you cause to someone else's property, but only up to your pre-chosen coverage limit.  Usually, this means damage to someone else's car, but it also includes damage to lamp posts, telephone poles, fences, buildings, or other structures your car hit. For information on damage to your car, visit the Comprehensive and Collision page.

Uninsured & Underinsured Motorists: This important section of the auto policy reimburses you, your family members, and passengers when hit by an uninsured or hit-and-run driver.  It also protects after being hit by someone who doesn't carry enough insurance protection to pay for your damages, and applies if you are hit as a pedestrian. A common misconception about uninsured motorist's coverage is you will be reimbursed for damage to your vehicle.  While this section provides needed coverage for your personal injuries like medical bills, lost wages, disability, and funeral expenses, the standard auto policy requires collision coverage in order to pay for damage to your vehicle.

Comprehensive & Collision: This optional section of the policy pays for damage to your vehicle.  States do not require you purchase these coverages, but if you have a car loan, your lender will require you to until the loan is paid off. For information on damage to your car, visit the Comprehensive and Collision page.

Leasing/Gap Coverage: 

What if I lease a car? If you lease a vehicle, you'll still need to buy your own auto insurance policy.  The auto dealer or bank that is financing the car will require you to purchase Comprehensive and Collision coverage, in addition to the others that may be mandatory in your state, such as Liability Coverage. The leasing company may also require Gap insurance.  If you have an accident, and the leased car is damaged beyond repair, there's likely a difference between the amount you still owe the auto dealer and the check you get from your insurance company.  That's because the insurance company's check is based on the car's actual cash value, which takes into account depreciation.  The difference between the two amounts is know as the "gap".

What if I have a loan? If you have a loan, consider purchasing gap insurance to protect yourself from paying the gap amount if your car is totaled before you've finished paying for it.  This is particularly important for new vehicles, as the rate of depreciation is often greater than the priciple paid monthly on the loan.

Rental Car: This optional rider pays for a rental car while your vehicle is in the shop after an accident or other covered claim.  Coverage limits range from $20 per day to $75 per day, and typically carry an additional per accident limit. While this coverage pays the daily rental rate on the vehicle, it does not cover your costs of gas, or additional costs to insure the rented vehicle.  You'll want to discuss the implications of driving a rented vehicle, and how your policy will respond, with your agent before you get to the rental counter.

Frequently Asked Questions

1905 Stadium Drive
Bozeman, Montana 59715
Phone:  406-587-5111
Toll Free: 800-606-9378
Fax:  406-587-9162

24-Hour Client Access

• Issue Auto ID Cards
• Request Changes
• Access Policy Information